I Love the Philadelphia Phillies

I’ve been thinking all day about whether I should write something or not about last night. Although, deep down, I knew I had to write something. Let me start by saying I love the Philadelphia Phillies. I did not grow up out here, but when I moved here, I fell in love with this baseball team. They helped me adjust to my new home. They helped me cope with difficult personal disappointments. They have helped me make friends. They have given me and those friends moments of pure, unadulterated joy - the kind of joy you rarely experience.

Last night was, obviously, the most joyous of those many, wonderful moments my friends and I have spent following, and cheering for, the Phillies. When Lidge threw that final slider by Hinske, and the Bank erupted, I jumped as high as I could. Then, I turned and hugged everyone of my friends - Matt, Andrew, Matt, Joe. Then I hugged them each again. And then I started hugging random people. Minutes later, we were all careening up South Street towards Broad, high fiving everyone in sight, hugging random strangers, screaming at the top of our lungs, and reveling in the culmination of so many years of frustration, of falling short, of thwarted hopes. Last night was the purging of so much disappointment in this city. And the celebration that ensued was, honestly, completely indescribable. I can write about the absolute mass of humanity on Broad Street - the people waving flags, climbing light posts, banging signs, how the entire city seemed to be chanting “let‘s go Phillies!” at the tops of their lungs. I can write about the communal joy, the way everyone - and I mean everyone - was hugging and high fiving. Young and old, black and white- it didn’t matter. We were all Philadelphians, and we were fucking happy and proud and we were going to share in that joy with everyone we could.

But no matter what I write, it will not do last night justice. It was the most incredible experience of my life, and it was shared with more people than I have ever seen gathered in one place. I realize there are many more important things in the world than sports. There is a profoundly important election in five days (and please, for the love of God, vote Obama!). In this city we love so much, it seems there is a new murder every day. All over the world, millions of people are struggling and dying for freedom, for the right to their human dignity. In comparison, a baseball team that has a big green ball of fur as its mascot is pretty damn insignificant. But the fact is, sports do matter because they are important on one of our most basic human levels: they bring us together with the people we love. They provide a meeting ground where otherwise there might not be one. They transcend politics and race and allow a whole city to bask in euphoria. What, I ask, is more human than the love and joy and wonder any of us in Philadelphia last night felt?

This win was for a lot of people, and most of them have suffered with this team far longer than me. So I am happy for the old time fans who suffered through Joe Carter, and the dreadful teams that came in the late 1990’s. I am happy for the fathers and sons who have grown together during summers at the Vet, and now the Bank. I am happy for this city, my home, because it deserves to be celebrated and toasted. And I’m happy for the players, many of whom we’ve followed for nearly a decade. You earned this, and will forever be heroes in this town. I want to say, to everyone I shared last night with, I love all of you. Thank you for one of the most memorable nights of my life. Lastly, I want to thank my dad and my brother. I fell in love with baseball hitting tennis ball home run derbies with you way back in Valparaiso, Indiana. I’ve shared more ups and downs on warm, humid summer nights with you guys, following this team, hoping that someday this might happen. Well, it happened. We’re world champions. Now let’s get ready for that parade tomorrow and fucking celebrate because, more than anyone, we know how fleeting these moments of joy can be. Thank you, Philadelphia Phillies. You own this city.

(for a companion piece, check out Andrew’s thoughts at http://formallycritical.blogspot.com/ Unlike him, I cannot make a sweet, in text hyperlink.)